SLIS will promote, represent, advocate and ensure the availability of quality interpretation services to Deaf people in Ireland.
The overall goal of SLIS is to ensure that Deaf people can easily exercise their rights & entitlements under the Equal Status & Disability Acts and access their rights and entitlements to public and social services.
Background to SLIS
Sign Language Interpreting Service (SLIS) is the National Sign Language Interpreting Service for Ireland. We were established upon the recommendation of the 2006 Prospectus Report on Sign Language Interpreting Services & Provision in Ireland, through the Citizens Information Board after the dissolution of the first national Interpreting Agency –Irish Sign Link.
In November 2010, the Board of SLIS carried out a comprehensive review of services & delivery to focus its resources to best meet the needs of the Deaf Community & Statutory obligations. The resulting Strategy Document for 2011-2014 outlines the overall vision for the organisation:
The Board agreed that in the coming years, a newly reconstituted SLIS should focus its efforts in the following areas:
• Promoting and advocating for the right to high quality interpreting services – particularly in relation to the interaction of Deaf people with State agencies and services
• Promoting best practice in the field of sign language interpreting
• Advocating quality standards among interpreters and their client organisations
• Meeting social interpreting needs – which might otherwise remain unmet
• Actively working towards the introduction of new technologies with the potential to improve the quality of interaction for Deaf people
• Facilitating the delivery of a national emergency sign language interpreting service
Elfrieda Carroll Manager
Margaret O’Connor Administrator (f/t)
Audrey Campbell Administrator (p/t)
Mairead Curry Finance Officer (p/t)
Mary Gavin Reception (mornings)
Aoife Blake, IRIS Interpreter (Wednesday & Thursday)
Fiona Ivory-Noonan IRIS Interpreter (Tuesday)
Leanne Saurin IRIS interpreter (Monday & Friday)
The Board of SLIS is composed of representatives from the Deaf Community, Deaf Organisations, Educational Programmes (including Academic and Health Service Education), Professional and Statutory Bodies. The members bring experience and knowledge from diverse backgrounds and professions to agree and govern the aims of the organisation. In collaboration with other voluntary & statutory organisations, the SLIS board established a series of sub-groups to oversee and develop its strategic aims & objectives.
Anne Coogan Chairperson
Sandra Ivory Company Secretary
For more information, please don’t hesitate to contact any of our staff in the offices.
From left to right you see
Mary Gavin (Reception), Audrey Campbell (Admin), Mairead Curry (Finance), ) and Margaret O’Connor (Admin)